Joining Facebook
I have been feeling so conflicted.
Just a few days ago, I calculated my losses. I decided to shut down Warm Regards and the only way I could actually close it, would be by knowing how much I have lost and make peace with it. I had the figure and knew I had to make a plan to earn it all back.
However, like all decisions in life, this has not been easy. I know that we have not given Warm Regards its best chance. Now, here is the thing- business has been slow since the BJP took over hence exhibitions are not doing well. We have stayed away from the niche esoteric exhibitions because we feel like we don't want to compete with similar brands. Yet, I know that the slow down has not been too bad for a lot of people as people are still spending. I think we have lost on publicity and ready reference. I think I have a huge role to play in this.
The fact is that I might have at least 800 friends (given that I have a thousand contacts on my whatsapp and LinkedIn) who are a sizeable number to start with on marketing. As the word spreads, as people become aware of the brand, sales will improve. At Amani, some foreigners have bought our clothes and marvel at the price that we are offering them at. Our social media pages are dead and hence the visibility is low. It is also very difficult to continue writing blog posts on the website because nobody is reading. Hence, my last ditch effort to save WR is to join FB.
But I guess, I am just unable to make peace with the fact that I am finally biting the bullet. I was so proud of my staying away from FB. But I realise I need to do this- for Roxanne, for Susie.
I also think I need to do it for myself. I need to put myself out there. Use my voice to propel the work that I do. I need to speak about the clothing brand, and soon the school that I will start.
As much as I would like to stay in my little island, away from the scandals that have hit FB, I need to make myself heard.
Just a few days ago, I calculated my losses. I decided to shut down Warm Regards and the only way I could actually close it, would be by knowing how much I have lost and make peace with it. I had the figure and knew I had to make a plan to earn it all back.
However, like all decisions in life, this has not been easy. I know that we have not given Warm Regards its best chance. Now, here is the thing- business has been slow since the BJP took over hence exhibitions are not doing well. We have stayed away from the niche esoteric exhibitions because we feel like we don't want to compete with similar brands. Yet, I know that the slow down has not been too bad for a lot of people as people are still spending. I think we have lost on publicity and ready reference. I think I have a huge role to play in this.
The fact is that I might have at least 800 friends (given that I have a thousand contacts on my whatsapp and LinkedIn) who are a sizeable number to start with on marketing. As the word spreads, as people become aware of the brand, sales will improve. At Amani, some foreigners have bought our clothes and marvel at the price that we are offering them at. Our social media pages are dead and hence the visibility is low. It is also very difficult to continue writing blog posts on the website because nobody is reading. Hence, my last ditch effort to save WR is to join FB.
But I guess, I am just unable to make peace with the fact that I am finally biting the bullet. I was so proud of my staying away from FB. But I realise I need to do this- for Roxanne, for Susie.
I also think I need to do it for myself. I need to put myself out there. Use my voice to propel the work that I do. I need to speak about the clothing brand, and soon the school that I will start.
As much as I would like to stay in my little island, away from the scandals that have hit FB, I need to make myself heard.
Comments