Paradise
Yesterday, we were invited for dinner to VM's uncle and aunt's house. Before, we left, I was given a quick revision of names of family members and VM told me that their house is 'flashy'. I wondered what flashy meant because I wanted to prepare myself mentally for the dinner. VM compared the house to another uncle's house to give me some kind of an idea.
Basically, I love houses. I love looking at people's homes and imagining what my house will look like. I think this is a direct fall out of the fact that we lived in a house for 16 years which was too small for us. My mother, who worked in a luxury hotel had beautiful decor ideas which she would share with us and we would make plans too. Although we now have a house (yes, another one in Thane which my younger sister has moved into) which we can and have decorated exactly how we want it (antique furniture, handloom curtains, rustic kitchen, cat proof windows, plants and decor items) I still have a longing for 'the house of my dreams'.
Nothing, not even VM's descriptions could have prepared for me the beauty of the house we visited yesterday. The house, in Gurgaon, has three storeys and a basement. When we walked into the gate we were greeted by beautiful green plants that were not too much and not too less. The son and mother are avid gardeners and have created the garden themselves. Apart from the storeys, they have a courtyard (that is carpeted with real grass), flower beds in front of the house, a terrace (which is also carpeted with real grass) and a basement. Of course, the family is quite wealthy (they have a television in the bathroom and all bathrooms are the size of a full fledged room complete with walk in closets, jacuzzi (yes you read that right)) and clearly is used to living in such grandeur. There are balconies in front of every room (real big ones) and they are filled with plants. The decor was extremely elegant with very artistic pieces of furniture, carpets and lighting. The house looks like a luxury hotel with glass doors, a fountain, staircases made of granite and so forth. I can go on. In fact, I didn't want to leave the house. VM asked them if they ever tiptoe around the house fearing they might by mistake scratch some wall or drop something on the expensive upholstery. I wondered where the kids play. That's when I was taken to the basement- which looked like a little classroom. There was a table tennis board folded away, several sofa sets, a drum set (the kids play drums), books and plenty of place to lay on the floor and paint (or roll)! I was thrilled. I imagined myself living in the house and how I would be too small for such a big mansion. I would also just lay on the floor and read.
While leaving, they shared plans with us about making a mini forest in the back balcony. They have researched the whole thing and are planning to have complete greenery. I was filled with so much joy. A family so wealthy still believing that plants and greenery add to aesthetics and not bring in mosquitoes or leakage. (Did I tell you they have a vertical garden because they wanted to find a way to hide leakage on a wall? They chose a vertical garden over tiles or marbles- that sounds a lot like me!)
This house was so me! I told VM that I want a house exactly like this (but a lot more eco-friendly). I left wanting to talk about the house to everyone. I wanted to process the beauty of the house. When I woke up this morning, both VM and I were thinking of what a paradise their house is...
Basically, I love houses. I love looking at people's homes and imagining what my house will look like. I think this is a direct fall out of the fact that we lived in a house for 16 years which was too small for us. My mother, who worked in a luxury hotel had beautiful decor ideas which she would share with us and we would make plans too. Although we now have a house (yes, another one in Thane which my younger sister has moved into) which we can and have decorated exactly how we want it (antique furniture, handloom curtains, rustic kitchen, cat proof windows, plants and decor items) I still have a longing for 'the house of my dreams'.
Nothing, not even VM's descriptions could have prepared for me the beauty of the house we visited yesterday. The house, in Gurgaon, has three storeys and a basement. When we walked into the gate we were greeted by beautiful green plants that were not too much and not too less. The son and mother are avid gardeners and have created the garden themselves. Apart from the storeys, they have a courtyard (that is carpeted with real grass), flower beds in front of the house, a terrace (which is also carpeted with real grass) and a basement. Of course, the family is quite wealthy (they have a television in the bathroom and all bathrooms are the size of a full fledged room complete with walk in closets, jacuzzi (yes you read that right)) and clearly is used to living in such grandeur. There are balconies in front of every room (real big ones) and they are filled with plants. The decor was extremely elegant with very artistic pieces of furniture, carpets and lighting. The house looks like a luxury hotel with glass doors, a fountain, staircases made of granite and so forth. I can go on. In fact, I didn't want to leave the house. VM asked them if they ever tiptoe around the house fearing they might by mistake scratch some wall or drop something on the expensive upholstery. I wondered where the kids play. That's when I was taken to the basement- which looked like a little classroom. There was a table tennis board folded away, several sofa sets, a drum set (the kids play drums), books and plenty of place to lay on the floor and paint (or roll)! I was thrilled. I imagined myself living in the house and how I would be too small for such a big mansion. I would also just lay on the floor and read.
While leaving, they shared plans with us about making a mini forest in the back balcony. They have researched the whole thing and are planning to have complete greenery. I was filled with so much joy. A family so wealthy still believing that plants and greenery add to aesthetics and not bring in mosquitoes or leakage. (Did I tell you they have a vertical garden because they wanted to find a way to hide leakage on a wall? They chose a vertical garden over tiles or marbles- that sounds a lot like me!)
This house was so me! I told VM that I want a house exactly like this (but a lot more eco-friendly). I left wanting to talk about the house to everyone. I wanted to process the beauty of the house. When I woke up this morning, both VM and I were thinking of what a paradise their house is...
Comments