Can't Help You
Somebody told me "sorry, I can't help you".
I have been thinking about this statement for quite some time. Not all the time but something about it didn't seem right. It came from someone I have known for years. Apart from the fact that I really needed some help and asked this person to help me out- the response meant that I was not getting any help.
It also meant something deeper. It is a hint to get off someone's back, or to totally give up on a person. That means me. If I ever had someone asking for my help I would try. If it was impossible to help I would do a part of what I could do. I don't think I would ever say to someone that I can't help.
In my bid to give the person the benefit of the doubt I asked me sister to say "I can't help you" in all possible tones. The only tone in which it sounded acceptable was in an urgent situation like someone is falling off a cliff and is holding on to your leg and asking for help. At this point, "Oh my God, I CANNOT HELP YOUUUU!!!" sounds acceptable.
I doubt you would ever use this sentence ever. But just in case you feel like- replace the 'you' with 'it'. I can't help it sounds better and makes things very impersonal.
Any which way you say it, by the way, 'I can't help you' sounds just the same way.
Bad.
I have been thinking about this statement for quite some time. Not all the time but something about it didn't seem right. It came from someone I have known for years. Apart from the fact that I really needed some help and asked this person to help me out- the response meant that I was not getting any help.
It also meant something deeper. It is a hint to get off someone's back, or to totally give up on a person. That means me. If I ever had someone asking for my help I would try. If it was impossible to help I would do a part of what I could do. I don't think I would ever say to someone that I can't help.
In my bid to give the person the benefit of the doubt I asked me sister to say "I can't help you" in all possible tones. The only tone in which it sounded acceptable was in an urgent situation like someone is falling off a cliff and is holding on to your leg and asking for help. At this point, "Oh my God, I CANNOT HELP YOUUUU!!!" sounds acceptable.
I doubt you would ever use this sentence ever. But just in case you feel like- replace the 'you' with 'it'. I can't help it sounds better and makes things very impersonal.
Any which way you say it, by the way, 'I can't help you' sounds just the same way.
Bad.
Comments
And I think the person who says, "I cannot help you" underestimates his ability to help others.