Who Will You Touch?



What do you think about a conference that brings 150 children from varied backgrounds together for a day to listen to people who have led exemplar lives and then be a part of workshops to develop a love for learning? 

Yes, these are words from my concept note. As I finished my concept note and just sent it to schools for being the host- I got a call from someone who doubted the entire concept and suggested changes that I did not completely understand. Although I was appreciative of the inputs, I was a bit disturbed. 

I had to speak to VM- the man by my side- my favourite person on earth, my moral support and mostly everything. When I finally could speak to him, I asked him, if he saw sense in this conference. I asked him if there was value in the conference. After a lot of affirmation, VM plainly told me that there is no sense in any conference as nothing can be guaranteed in a day’s affair. There is a small chance that a child might get inspired on that one day or form a new friendship or gain a small insight into someone else’s life. He ended the conversation asking me to just go ahead with the conference. 

I thought about it for some time and then realized that in these past few months I have come across a lot of things that have no value according to me. The award winning initiative that claims to have made a difference in the lives of 20 million children around the world, the international NGO that fudges data and is aware that the children it ‘emancipates’ are the same ones who will end up on the streets again, the initiative I am part of right now- where I see no meaning and no impact at all. But we are all doing it. 

This conference on the other hand, is something that I feel has some chance of a good outcome. There might be just one child who might decide to do big things post this conference. Years ago, my father had mentioned in passing, that he thinks I can be the PM of India. This line has stayed with me. If not anything else, it was just an affirmation of my innate potential. 

It is hard to continue to believe in and work on something that others see no value in.
I need to believe in this conference however. 20 years later someone might write a similar blogpost on how something someone said to them in a conference changed the way they looked at themselves. 

I need to return the favour.

Comments

Popular Posts